The Office of Student Financial Aid assists students whose personal and family resources are not adequate to cover the costs involved in attending UW-Madison by:

  • Processing financial aid forms to determine eligibility for grants, loans, and work-study employment
  • Advising students regarding financial aid and money management
  • Providing information on part-time employment, both on- and off-campus
  • Offering assistance in obtaining information about scholarships

Office hours are 7:45 am until 4:30 pm (Central Time) Monday through Friday.

Hide this message

Student Aid History available on StudentAid.gov

Recently Federal Student Aid launched a new feature on the StudentAid.gov website that allows students and parents to log in and view their federal student loan and grant information from the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). This new feature is completely accessible on tablets and smartphones. Individuals can download their aid history and find out information about their federal student aid history. These provide details about their federal loans, including their loan servicer contact information and Pell Grants. To access these features click on the LOG IN box in the upper right hand corner and be prepared to enter some identifying information including your date of birth, social security number, and Federal Student Aid PIN. Be advised that certain actions must still be completed via the NSLDS Student Access site like address updates and enrollment changes.

Beware Financial Aid Scams - March 25th, 2014

Recently a Wisconsin Police Department reported a student being called and told they could get a financial aid grant of thousands of dollars after they sent in their personal information and a handling fee, possibly using a money gram or other fund delivery card i.e. prepaid debit card. This is a scam. Applying for financial aid by filling out the FAFSA is online and FREE at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ . There are also many no-fee scholarship sources available: http://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/ . If you have any concern about the validity of any inquiry you receive as a student or parent as it relates to financial aid or the receipt of aid funds please contact our  office for assistance.

Having difficulty requesting your Tax Return Transcript?

Visit our frequently asked questions for assistance.

Did you miss the Financial Aid WebChat hosted by the Parent Program and Office of Student Financial Aid on Tuesday 2/18?

Review the WebChat transcript online

eREFUNDS - Enroll Now

Direct (ACH) Deposit for Student Tuition Refunds.

Students can have their tuition refunds directly deposited to their personal savings or checking accounts. 

To enroll, please log on to your  UW-Madison Student Center and click on “eRefund Management” under My Account.

Click on this link Bursar. for more information.  Effective Spring 2014, eRefunds will be processed daily and paper checks will be processed once a week.

Only student refunds are eligible for eRefunds; Parent PLUS refunds will continue to be sent via paper check.

For more information please contact the Bursar's Office directly at tuition@bussvc.wisc.edu or 608-262-3611.

If your your loan did not disburse. Click here for possible reasons.
2014-2015 Seven Easy Steps to the FAFSA:


A Student's Guide to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid:

Click on this link to view individual  tutorial steps for each of the 7 sections of the FAFSA.

They can be viewed separately or as a whole.       

Announcements from the Department of Education

The IRS will begin processing most tax returns on January 31, 2014  or later to accommodate the delay in processing due to the government shutdown.

In keeping with the Supreme Court decision ruling Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act ( DOMA ) unconstitutional, follow these instructions when filling out the FAFSA: For all FAFSA questions related to marital status, applicants who are married or the married parents of dependent applicants must respond as married without regard to whether the marriage is between individuals of the same sex or opposite sex. This applies if the applicant and applicant's spouse, or the applicant's parents, were legally married in any state or jurisdiction (including a foreign country), without regard to where the couple resides or where the student will be attending college.

New for 2014-2015 a dependent student will be required to include income and other information about both of the student's legal parents (biological or adoptive) if the parents are living together, regardless of the parents' marital status or gender.


It has come to our attention that misleading mailings are being received by families of current and prospective students. These mailings look “official” and often use a seal that might appear to be an official seal of the U.S. Department of Education; it is not.

Students should never pay a fee to access federal, state or university financial aid at UW-Madison.  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is just that, free.  Please contact our office if you have concerns about any solicitation or mailing you receive regarding financial aid.

Funding Study Abroad

Questions about funding options for a UW-Madison study abroad program? You can listen to a recording of an online Funding Study Abroad Information Session at Funding Study Abroad.

Department of Education's Federal Student Aid Office (FSA) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) partner up.

This collaboration is hoping to reach more individuals with low-to moderate incomes to provide information, assistance, and access to their relevant services.   For further information visit our Financial Aid News page at the More News link below.

More News »