General Graduate and Professional Students

By submitting a financial aid application you will be considered for the following types of aid.

Federal Work-Study (FWS): This program provides employment either on campus or in a nonprofit off-campus community agency. Amounts students can earn usually range from $500 to about $2,500 per academic year and are based on financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid and on fund availability.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: This loan does accrue interest while the student is in school. Principal billing does not begin until six months after the borrower leaves school or is no longer enrolled at least half-time. The borrower is responsible for interest which accrues while the student is in school. Eligibility is not based on financial need, but the loan amount cannot exceed the difference between the student budget and other aid. 

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS: This loan accrues interest while the student is in school. There is no grace period, but the loan billing can be deferred until the student either leaves school or drops below half-time enrollment. This loan requires a credit check and can be consolidated with all other federal loans. You can borrow up to the cost of education minus any other financial aid. You must apply for the annual maximum eligibility under the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Program before applying for a GradPLUS loan.


Helpful Documents and Information

Additional Steps after You Receive an Award

Some students will be required to fill out additional documentation to receive their aid. Federal Direct Loan borrowers will be required to complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note. Students who receive institutional loans or health profession loans will complete documentation using our vendor ECSIA FSA ID or ECSI pin is required for login. Students will receive an email from ECSI when the documentation is prepared with detailed instructions.

Graduate Student Funding 

Funding support for graduate school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison largely takes the form of assistantships, fellowships, and traineeships. For more information visit The Graduate School Funding Resources page.

UW System Code of Conduct

UW-Madison participates in a variety of loan programs including Federal Perkins and Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans. We also certify private loans for students who need to borrow beyond the federal loan programs. The UW-Madison Office of Student Financial Aid abides by the UW Regent Codes of Conduct related to student loan borrowing.