After completing the FAFSA and submitting it to the federal processor you may notify us at the financial aid office if you have exceptional special circumstances that you believe should be considered.
To inform us of your special circumstances send a written statement explaining your situation along with supporting documentation to us at: Office of Student Financial Aid, UW-Madison, 333 East Campus Mall, Madison, WI 53715; fax it to us at 608/262-9068, or e-mail us at email@example.com. Be sure to include student name and campus ID. Upon review we may find it necessary to request additional information. We will notify you as soon as possible of any change resulting from your special circumstances. Because of funding limits, please be aware that a recalculation of your financial aid eligibility does not guarantee that any additional aid will be offered to you. In addition, to ensure fairness and compliance with federal, state and university regulations there are limits to the circumstances we can consider.
Special circumstances may include (but are not limited to):
- Death of a parent/spouse.
- Parent loss of job/income.
- High medical/dental bills not covered by insurance and/or high cost of insurance premiums.
- Reduction or loss of untaxed income such as child support or social security benefits.
- Student loss of income resulting from return to school after ceasing full-time employment.
- Child care costs for student's dependent(s).
Circumstances we are not able to consider include (but are not limited to):
- Car payments
- Consumer debt
- High mortgage payments
- Tuition expenses for parent in college