Net Price / Award Calculator
The University of Wisconsin-Madison provides this Net Price Calculator as a tool for early financial planning for college. The calculator is an approximation of federal and state aid eligibility for undergraduate students that plan to attend UW-Madison. This is for your information only and it is not an application for financial aid.
Many factors are considered when awarding financial aid to students including, but not limited to: deadlines, federal and state funding levels, and family financial circumstances. This calculator provides an estimate and it may not incorporate all possible awarding considerations. For example, scholarships that a student receives are not factored into this calculation or funding may become exhausted at certain times of the year and this could impact the cost of education.
The percent of first-year students enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who received grant aid for 2016-2017 was 22.1%. There is an additional $265 in fees added to tuition for all new transfer students.
Have you completed the 2017-2018 FAFSA?
Step One: Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
To determine your EFC visit the College Board's EFC calculator. The second page of the EFC Calculator will determine whether you use 'dependent' or 'independent'. On the third page select 'Federal Methodology'. The EFC will be verified as part of your application.
Hints for using the College Board site:
- Use the Next button to navigate through the EFC calculation.
- Choose Federal Methodology as the Formula.
- Have basic income and asset information on hand before you begin.
- Although you can save your data by creating a collegeboard.com account, no information is submitted to UW-Madison or the Department of Education.
Step Two: Estimation Process
If you have completed the FAFSA or have determined your EFC estimate, please enter the value below, and verify the remaining information.
- This is an ESTIMATE and not your actual Financial Aid Award
- Do not use an EFC of 0 (zero) unless the EFC calculator states you should use 0 (zero)
- For "First Term Attended" indicate the first semester that you attended (or will attend) UW-Madison