How to Apply for 2017-2018 Financial Aid
Please read carefully because the process has changed!
*For information on Summer 2017 Financial Aid click here.
1. If you don't yet already have one, obtain a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID)
- Once your FSA ID, always your FSA ID - so make sure to keep this for your records as you'll use it more than once!
- Forgot yours? Use the same link above to access your username and reset your password.
- Need Help? Watch this video to learn more!
2. Complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA!
- Available to complete on or after October 1, 2016
- UW-Madison's NEW priority date is December 1, 2016, so don't delay!!
- You will use information from your 2015 tax return
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool!
- No need to locate your tax return and may reduce our need for additional documentation
- Learn how easy DRT by viewing the IRS DRT video tutorial
- Some commonly asked questions:
3. Receive and Review Your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- The SAR is a summary of your FAFSA and will arrive by e-mail, please review for accuracy.
- Use your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) inour Net Price Calculator
- If you have a special financial circumstance you would like us to know about, submit a letter to us.
4. The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) Will Receive & Review Your FAFSA
- If additional information or documentation is required, we will contact you via e-mail.
- To monitor your financial aid status, check your My UW Student Center
5. OSFA Will Award You Financial Aid
- Once all requied information has been received, students are sent an e-mail when their financial aid award is avilable to view in their Student Center.
- Some of your awards will require you to actively accept them - so don't forget to take action
- Awarding for 2017-2018 is scheduled to begin in March.
Top 5 FAFSA Filing Tips
- Fill out your FAFSA as soon after October 1st as possible and DEFINITELY have it done before December 1, 2016!
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, it will save you time and energy!
- Monitor your financial aid application and keep your contact information up to date in your My UW Student Center
- Watch your UW-Madison wisc.edu email account, important reminders and instructions are sent there
- If you have any questions don't hestiate to contact us! 608-262-3060 or email@example.com