Work-Study FAQ

- Can I have more than one Work-Study job?

Yes, please call our office at 262-3801 for guidelines. However, the amount of Work-Study you are awarded will not increase.

- How many hours can I work?

Most Work-Study jobs are flexible on the number of hours per week. You are not obligated to earn the full award, but once you've earned all you available Work-Study funds, your employer will be responsible for 100% of your wages.

- Is there any paperwork I have to do once I've accepted Work-Study?

Only if you are working off campus. In this case, the student and employer will need to fill out the Federal Work-Study Student and Employer Information Form, available in the Work-Study office located on the 9th floor of the 333 East Campus Mall student services tower.

- I was offered Work-Study, how do I find a job?
  • You can view University and non-University Work-Study jobs at: Even though all campus jobs are eligible as a Work-Study employment, some employers will only hire students who have Work-Study.
  • You can always check with your academic dept. to see if they have any positions open

***You'll have to apply for each job separately***

- What exactly is Work-Study?
  • Work-Study is a federally funded, need-based program in which the government and the employer share the payroll cost of employing a student.
  • The dollar amount a student is awarded in Work-Study will NOT apply directly toward tuition nor will it be distributed to the student directly in a lump sum. Instead, the amount is earned by the student through their job.
  • The Work-Study award simply means that amount of money is set aside for the student to earn at a job.
  • The student would be in charge of finding a job. Once the student is working he/she would receive paychecks that will decrease the Work-Study amount set aside for that student (The hourly wage and number of hours worked should be worked out with the actual employer).
- Why is Work-Study better than having any other job?
  • Most campus employers prefer to hire and some even require that a student have Work-Study before they hire.
  • When a student files the FAFSA the following year, the Work-Study income is deducted from the annual gross income, meaning earning Work-Study income doesn't count against the student as actual earned income when applying for aid the next year!

**However, this does NOT mean a student is exempt from filing a tax return. It is still income, but when it comes to financial aid, we will take into account the fact that student had Work-Study**

  • Work-Study qualified jobs usually pay more than minimum wage.
  • Having Work-Study makes you eligible for jobs within many academic departments. This means you can get to know the important people in your department, a real bonus when it comes to resume time!
- What kind of jobs are Work-Study?
  • Any on-campus student hourly position can be a work study job.
  • Public or private non profit organizations that have contracts with the Federal Work-Study Program may hire Work-Study students.
- Where do I get my paychecks?

Student employees can pick up their checks on campus at the payroll office in the Welcome Center, 21 North Park Street, Suite 5101. The payroll office also has a direct deposit form if you prefer your check to be sent to your bank.

- If I accept Work-Study am I eligible to participate in Wisconsin FoodShare Program?

Yes, IF you are currently employed in a Work-Study job. .   To participate, a student needs to show copies of their past two pay stubs from current Work-Study job to the Wisconsin FoodShare department .  Pay stubs can be found and reprinted from the students MYUW page.  More information about FoodShare Wisconsin can be found at